Sinebrychoff Museum of Foreign Art

The Sinebrychoff family were descendants of a Russian merchant who made his fortune in Helsinki in the 1840s. In the late 19th century Paul Sinebrychoff, a brewer, and his wife Fanny began collecting European antiques and art dating as far back as the 14th century – paintings, glassware, porcelain, silver, furniture, clocks. They then bequeathed the collection, and their home, to the nation in 1921, and it became a museum.

Swelled by some 20 other bequests, the museum has since become the main repository for Finland's national collection of Old Masters (Rembrandt, Tiepolo, Watteau and others). Overall, the collection may be somewhat hit-and-miss, but there's plenty of treasure here, including the museum's most cherished possession, the 'Portrait of a Young Lady' by Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472–1553).

Several of the rooms have been restored to how they would have looked in 1910 – richly furnished in historical styles.
www.sinebrychoffintaidemuseo.fi

There are no comments yet - add yours below

This helps to discourage spam